[school-discuss] Re: [seul-edu] [Fwd: File formats and distance learning]

--- Les Richardson <richl@mail.tfsd.sk.ca> wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > > > Of course one can use the "freely available" PP Viewer
from the MS
 > > > site.
 > >
 > > If you have windows or macitosh running, that is not always a
 > given.
 > > I have Debian GNU/Linux running. There are some tools, like
 > OpenOffice,
 > > and there is a PPTtoHTML that I can also install.
 >
 > > > As well, once in this format, it doesn't "come out" easily.
 > >
 > > That is the issue. Microsoft 2000 has a nice export tool.
 >
 > Yes, but export as what? AFAIK, this is just a graphics image
 > "snapshot" of each slide.

I just sent you an export. You can export the outline into rtf.
but also the new version has most elements at html.

 >This is totally useless since this is totally shorn of any
 > content and structure that one can use in creating content in any
 > other format. (which is, of course, what they want to prevent).

yes. OCR is overkill.

 > > Even then, my school might not have the money to upgrade.
 >
 > But the larger issue is that all of your content is trapped and
 > frozen in
 > a proprietary format, unable to be converted to another, structure
 > rich, format. (Yes, I know you can "save as" a useless image
snapshot or
 > functionally obfuscated html code...)

 > What happens in 3 years or 5 years or whenever you want to
reuse or
 > edit that content? You must use the same app that created it
in the first
 > place...

Ok. I need to make space for open-office and kpresenter. The GNU
LibOLE  can extract the structure data out.

 > > > b) Viewing Software
 > > That is the most important for me at this point.
 >
 > Use either a Windows or Mac box for viewing. or simply create
an X server
 > attached to Windows emulator (ie. VMware or the others...I
forget) so that
 > you can run PPView via an X window anywhere... This is what
they do
 > in the Battlefords School Division near here.

OK. I would even go as far to say, setup a openoffice application
server that can munge hundreds of ppts or single ones on demand.

 > > > c) Richness of alternative file formats (ie. able to
support similar
 > > > feature set)
 >
 > > A bare minimum is needed. Look at a possible blind student,
or disabled
 > > student, they need at least text. Pictures would be nice as
well.

 > Most any structured format will do for this, since they're
 > (virtually) all designed to store text and pictures. From HTML
up...

 > > Well, even if they stick to PPT for authoring,  we need a
strong enough
 > > lobby to demand that there is a standard distribution
format. That is
 > > what I am trying to put togeather here.

 > This just isn't going to happen. MS sells software. MS needs
new features
 > to get you to buy the new version. New versions with new
features have new
 > file formats. New versions read old versions, not the other way
 > around. All this in aid of making money, not making better
software.

wait! I mean to put pressure on the schools, not ms.

 > Thus sticking with PPT authoring means the game is over before you
 > start.
 >
 > Thus what is needed is a "Powerpoint Clone" authoring tool that
 > "walks like PPT" and "talks like PPT", but creates a standard
XML format file
 > based on some XML schema or DTD that can be converted to other
 > structurally rich formats.

ok. I aggree.

 > > I am trying to find and organise students and teacher who
dont want to
 > > have to use be *forced* to use windows, at least to take
part in a
 > > course. The authoring of those lessons is a different issue.
 >
 > I disagree. I see "complaining" as largely as waste of time.
(Think of the
 > DOJ...) Vote with your feet...err...fingers. Use some other
sofware that will accomplish the same thing.

Well, I am a software developer. I will start looking at the
source code of the various tools, your right : an online
conversion service would be better than a lobby.

We could at least collect names and signatures of students who
use it.  Let them vote with their mouse.

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont
http://introspector.sourceforge.net/