Re: [school-discuss] Quote From Neil Postman

Sorry, no offence, but I must say this is absurd. Each and every one of us can recall an experience of learning a subject from a teacher who hated it, didn't grasp it, or both. Its a disaster. For me, that was the year I quit physics.

The greatest treasure a teacher can bestow his students is the ability to see the beauty of a subject, to fall in love with it. be it art, mathematics or history. The rest most students can do on their own.

When I did my undergraduate CS course, I had the privilege of studying computational complexity with Michael Rabin. A friend of mine told me that his brother had studied with him and that he was a rare jewel, in that not only was he a world leader on the subject, he also knew how to teach.

The idea of eliminating textbooks is not half as bad. However, Postman's reasoning is just as flakey. The Jonas Salk analogy is not an argument, its cheap rhetoric. But here's an idea: instead of giving kids a few tons of books to chew through, give them a laptop, make it inexpensive, simple and robust, and make sure its connected. That way, they have access to all the knowledge on the web. They can even participate in the process of generating knowledge - edit Wikipidia entries on their local environment, keep a blog, email their ministers. Hey - why not preload the machines with a heap of textbooks, but in Wiki format - so the kids can add their questions and annotations, in short: take ownership. Oh - what, someone already thought of that?