Re: [school-discuss] Quote From Neil Postman

Yishay Mor wrote:
Sorry, no offence, but I must say this is absurd. Each and every one of us can recall an experience of learning a subject from a teacher who hated it, didn't grasp it, or both. Its a disaster. For me, that was the year I quit physics.

And was that not a physicist who taught that class badly?

There is content knowledge and there is pedagogical knowledge.
http://tpck.pbwiki.com/Pedagogical%20Content%20Knowledge%20(PCK)

College professors usually have zero training in the latter.

The consequences of so much bad college teaching are that most
students in science and engineering drop out or change majors,
and those that do graduate, even at the top schools in the country,
have little conceptual understanding of the subjects, as shown
about 2 minutes into this video, where Harvard and MIT graduates can't
make a bulb light:
http://www.learner.org/vod/vod_window.html?pid=76

The full videos require free registration:
Minds of Our Own:
http://www.learner.org/resources/series26.html
A Private Universe:
http://www.learner.org/resources/series28.html