Re: [school-discuss] Computers for Kids

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Jon Adam wrote:

> I am thinking about starting a non profit agency (501) status that will
> accept donated computers from firms and individuals, and rebuild them and
> give them to children and schools that are without computers.

Well, we just finished going thought the process to become a 501c3, it's
not quick, it's not easy, and it's not quite cheap (not expensive either).

In all, we filed in april of 2000, and wound up aproved about july of
2002.  The legal and filing fees came to a few thousand USD.

> I thought I
> would look for feedback from the list on this.  Does anyone know of anyone
> that is doing such a thing?  What are your ideas?

We are sorta looking at it, also a local company here in Tucson does it
(Desert Waste Not... don't have a URL).  Please contact us in private
email (hmcgregor@osef.org), if you are going to be doing this 100% open
source and free software based, we might be able to help you in one of
several ways.

			Harry

--
Harry McGregor, CEO, Co-Founder