Re: [school-discuss] OLPC Solutions for African Villages (was: Ways to put Linux PCs in villages w/o electricity)

On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 09:42:39PM -0400, Daniel Howard wrote:
> 3.  I actually disagree with Negroponte about the OLPC approach being
> the only right way to do it, and forcing constructivism on the process.

For the video records I've seen, he's just a politician.
These aren't usually able to make intelligent decisions,
they have to make /appearance/ that they're doing that
(and hope for the best).

Reading up Churchill's memoires in part on radiolocation during
WWII, one with a bit of technical education in that area would
smile frequently.

So basically it well could be that "we dined with Mr. XX, and
his words sounded quite sure on that we should also support
that Windows thing for the future of our children".

He wouldn't even understand ESR's surprisingly sharp article
on 64-bit switch in a few years:
http://catb.org/~esr/writings/world-domination/world-domination-201.html

> From our work, ready access to a PC with at least a 3:1 ratio
> is the most important element and gives the biggest bang for
> the buck, even if ideally, it would be better to have 1:1.
> Recall an OLPC condition that you must buy enough for one
> laptop per child in the deployment.

Interesting, thanks for this observation.  Wonder if there are
any folks close to OLPC project to pass that even if it
contradicts the very name of the project (which just might
be faulty, after all).

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>