Re: [school-discuss] Kids and Linux

Ian:

Not every parent who is interested in getting their kids exposed to linux is looking for the cheapest route to do so. In my situation cost is a factor but it's not the same as with a school disctrict. My kids already have fast access at home on a Windows machine.

I think there are a group of parents who are attracted to linux for reasons similar to those espoused by Lawrence Lessig in The Future of Ideas. These people are probably willing and able to spend on their kids.

What I think we need is a vendor similar to Penguin Computing who would be willing to build stable 'kid centric' linux boxes at a reasonable price with good support. Volvo parents will buy these, trust me.

Paul Coelho