Re: [school-discuss] Recommendations for NECC presentation

I'd suggest moodle.org for one option. We'll have it running on the
K12LTSP lab at NECC so folks can play with it. I don't know of any
mysql/php apps on the cd's though. But, since you'll be live on the
Internet during your presentation, you can point to moodle on our
K12LTSP server at the conference. We can also make a demo class for you
on our server at my school.

We'll also have Freeduc CD's to give away. We're bringing 4 burners to
keep my kids busy and to keep up with the demand for free CD's during
the conference.

One request I have is for suggestions for using the knoppix based
openmosix while we're there. This CD is way cool! You boot with knoppix,
turn on clustering ltsp server and you have an instant cluster. I'd like
to have a good demo application to run though. The only thing I've found
is some protein folding software via an Intel link. Who has some ideas?

;-) Paul

On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 11:16, Doug Loss wrote:
> As most of you know, I'll be going to NECC (the National Educational
> Computing Conference) in Seattle at the end of the month with Harry
> McGregor of OSEF and Paul Nelson of K12OS.  I'll be representing both
> SEUL/edu and Schoolforge as a whole (both Harry and Paul will also
> represent Schoolforge in addition to their own groups).  I have a
> presentation to give on July 2 (the last day of the conference) about
> Linux software in education.  I'd like to demonstrate both a courseware
> application and an administrative application.  For the courseware one,
> it seems obvious to use GCompris, since it just won a prize and is
> included on the Freeduc bootable CD.  For the administrative one, I'd
> like to get some suggestions.
>
> What is the best app to demo at a conference, given a two-hour
> presentation?  Only part of that presentation can be taken up by the
> app.  I'd like to show something that's clearly useful in North American
> schools (since that's where this conference is), that's pretty easu to
> use, and that plays nicely with other software a school or district
> might be using.  It would be a great plus if it were included on either
> Freeduc or the OSEF CD; that would keep me from having to install and
> configure it.  Not asking for too much, am I? :-)
>
> I'm waiting for your opinions!
Paul Nelson.............................. pnelson@riverdale.k12.or.us
Riverdale High...........9727 SW Terwilliger Blvd. Portland, OR 97219
voice(503)892-0722...fax(503)892-0723.. http://hs.riverdale.k12.or.us