Re: [school-discuss] Is there a preferred distribution for

On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 05:22, Larry Howe wrote:
> I'm researching the possibility of Linux for our local school
> (K-5) and/or library. I'm aware of LTSP and that would definitely have
> advantages for a larger number of workstations. But I am thinking, at
> least intially, we will just have one or two linux workstations
> coexisting with the existing resources. Is there a preferred
> distribution for a standalone workstation in a school or library
> setting? What are the hardware requirements? Any help appreciated.

Prefered distro is more of a personal choice.  It's whatever you work
best with.  If you have used/admined RedHat for the past few years,
stick with it.  If your a debian fan, and know it inside and out, stick
with it.

At Corbett Elementary School, we started with slackware, and are now
running debian unstable.

My personal feeling is that debian is more managable in a large scale
environment, and debian-jr and debian-edu tasks help with educational
software selection, but again, go with what _you_ are comfortable with.

			Harry