Re: [school-discuss] Is there a preferred distribution forschools/libraries?

On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 08:22, Larry Howe wrote:
> I'm researching the possibility of Linux for our local school (K-5) and/or library. I'm aware of LTSP and that would definitely have advantages for a larger number of workstations. But I am thinking, at least intially, we will just have one or two linux workstations coexisting with the existing resources. Is there a preferred distribution for a standalone workstation in a school or library setting? What are the hardware requirements? Any help appreciated.
>
> Larry Howe
You could go as low as a 300MHz Pentium II, as has been suggested.
Important thing is RAM.  I would want at least 256MB, especially on
older systems that may not have fast IDE busses for the hard drive.  Low
memory and slow hard drive access slows Linux down when you're using a
desktop like KDE or GNOME.

For OS I would go with RedHat, mainly because if you want to set up a
K12LTSP terminal server you'll already be familiar with the underlying
OS.  I would also install and use the KDE desktop for the ability to
easily manipulate the desktop menu with kmenuedit.  If you have a lot of
older, low RAM computers I would go right to a K12LTSP solution on a
decent server (or really beefy workstation), and get a supply of bootROM
NICs for the old computers.
--
Jim Anderson

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to
you."
	-Gandalf the Grey