Re: [school-discuss] OpenOffice.org License Text

On Thu, 2003-06-26 at 02:44, HiranoKazunari wrote:
> Hi,
>
> You will find the following license text when you install OOo:
> You may only copy and distribute this program consistent with the
> requirements and distribute this Program consistent with the
> requirements of either the GNU General Public License (GPL) and GNU
> Lesser General Public License (LGPL) or the Sun Industry Standards
> Source License (SISSL), respectively, depending on whether you elected
> to obtain access to this program via the GPL/LGPL Option or the SISSL
> Option.
> I am trying to translate this into Japanese and would like to have an
> advice from native English speakers and teachers.
> Can it be translated:
> You may only copy and distribute this program consistent with the
> requirements of either the GPL/LGPL or the SISSL, and you may only
> distribute this Program consistent with the requirements of either the
> GPL/LGPL or the SISSL, respectively, depending on whether you elected to
> obtain access to this program via the GPL/LGPL Option or the SISSL Option.
> ?
> Now the first "this program" and the second "this Program" are the same?
> How can you paraphrase it?
>
> Thanks
> khirano

The references to "this program" both relate to the OpenOffice.org suite software.  The dual licenses are so that if you distribute under the GPL/LGPL the source code for all changes and additions must be made public and the source available either on the CD or through a link to a web site.  The SISSL gives protection to proprietary code and non-open source additions (icons, clipart, templates, etc) distributed with OOo1.  This is how StarOffice is published, so that it protects the included third-party components that are not open source.  In terms of the actual distribution of the program, please distribute it as much as you can and as often as you can!  If you do make changes to the name or look of the suite, add components, and in any marketing materials, including web sites, we ask that you give credit that OpenOffice.org 1.0.x is the underlying software.  It's fine to integrate and package other components such as a browser or email client, etc, just give credit where credit is
due.

--
Jim Anderson,
OpenOffice.org Marketing volunteer

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to
you."
	-Gandalf the Grey