Re: [school-discuss] English teacher apps

Dennis Daniels wrote:
Robin,
Your work on this app is amazing! I've shown it to a couple of my coworkers and their jaws dropped! I really like the output showing which words were used; that is very helpful. I was wondering about how non-techie teachers can upload their target word lists or a redirect to a web page or text file on the network for processing. For example, some of our teachers here have a weekly word list, simple text, on the network. Do you have any plans or ideas on how to redirect the target search list to another file? With or instead of the AWL, another list that is in simple text? It's really a very cool little piece of coding here! What are your plans for licensing? GPL? LGPL?
all the best!
Thanks for the compliment! The licence is the same as for most Perl scripts (i.e. the Perl/artistic licence). In other words, do what you like with it. The source code is at <http://www.bilkent.edu.tr/~robin/awlcheck.tar.gz>. (Note that for copyright reasons, the AWL sublists are not included - see the README).

As for changing the word lists, you'll need to upload the lists yourself and hack the code a little. There are some variables at the beginning of the script which need to be altered for what you want. I suppose in theory you could point the list variables to files on another site using LWP's get function, and add a field to the front page for people to put in the URL of the file, but it would be a bit of a headache. However, if you only want to compare the texts to the GSL and one list of your choice, you could then simplify the code somewhat, which might speed it up a little.

Robin

--
"I'm very into Britney Spears' early work, before she sold out, so mostly her, um, finger painting and macaroni art."
Dawn - BtVS

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Universitesi