[Author Prev][Author Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Thread Index]
Re: [school-discuss] my puzzle about OSS in education
- To: schoolforge-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [school-discuss] my puzzle about OSS in education
- From: Greg Farrell <erac_greg@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 12:03:59 -0700 (PDT)
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 15:02:01 -0400
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=yahoo.com; h=Message-ID:Received:Date:From:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=N5resse/2ZYa/Gw6BaQHhbIowI7OH4W+2RJ0Ycv1dZqrMC6GsQF86DXI8DWZkRKMeQKiEUx1GckztvuBVCVWBZ+dTk0RJxMRNOEpvYHQCm/CUjkBuH46otCJoBjW5g5vU3OjcJMOZJZ/6jEJn5GoJeNrsK0frK7QKRM/XBCz0x0= ;
- In-reply-to: <429F39AA.email@example.com>
- Reply-to: schoolforge-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Sender: owner-schoolforge-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I suppose I was more interested in evaluations of math
scores with Algebra Buster versus those without, to
give a better example.
--- Rob Rittenhouse <rob@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Quoting Greg Farrell <erac_greg@xxxxxxxxx>:
> >>Does anyone who's switched to OSS applications,
> >>the ones Marilyn's listed here, have any available
> >>statistics that evaluate student's performance
> >>and after the switch? What were the metrics used?
> >>I'm trying to get a sense of learning content
> >>so anything along these lines would be a help
> >>Greg Farrell
> The big question would be whether or not learning
> with computers helps.
> I don't see that there would necessarily be much
> difference between OSS
> and proprietary software in this area (do you
> actually learn
> significantly more or less by using the Gimp vs
> Photoshop? OpenOffice vs
> MS Office? TuxType vs Mavis Beacon?)
> Where OSS might help is in affordability and
> manageability of computing.
> If the choice is Gimp vs something we can't afford,
> OpenOffice vs
> something we can't afford TuxType vs something we
> can't afford the
> equation changes. Plus with OSS you can give the
> students the
> applications you are teaching with. What are the
> benefits in giving the
> students the software to use at home?
> Try flipping the question: what are the real
> advantages of using
> proprietary software?
> Rob Rittenhouse
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail - You care about security. So do we.