[school-discuss] [Fwd: invitation to Edubuntu Summit, 1-3 July 2005]

I thought this would be of interest.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: invitation to Edubuntu Summit, 1-3 July 2005
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 12:12:33 +0200
From: Jane Weideman <janew@xxxxxxx>
CC: edubuntu-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jane Silber <jane.silber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Claire Davis <claire@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Oliver Grawert <hostmaster@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello,

Edubuntu is a new school-focused derivative of the popular Ubuntu
operating system. We would like to collaborate with the community as
much as possible in the development of Edubuntu, and therefore would
like you to join us at the inaugural Edubuntu Summit which will be held
in Central London (England) on 1-3 July 2005.

Edubuntu is an Ubuntu ( http://www.ubuntu.com ) version suitable for
classroom use. We integrate the excellent work of many of the existing
initiatives for Linux in education and so are working with groups such
as the K12-LTSP project, SkoleLinux / Debian-Edu, and the upstream LTSP
community to produce a best-of-breed Linux that schools and school
districts can use as a basis for their needs.

One key goal is that it be easy to modify and customise Edubuntu, to
produce a locally branded and updated educational distro with additional
apps and content of local relevance.

The aim is to deliver a turnkey solution that enables time-poor
educators with mid-range technical skills to set up a computer lab
and/or establish an online learning environment with as few steps as
humanly possible, building on the fine tradition of having things "Just
Work" in ubuntu. Edubuntu would include simplified administration tools,
and offer centralized management of configuration, users, and processes
together with facilities for working collaboratively in a classroom
setting. Equally important is the gathering together of the best
available free software and digital materials for education under one
distribution.

The first release of Edubuntu is slated for October 2005. See
http://udu.wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDownUnder/BreezyGoals for more
information.

At the Edubuntu Summit, we will be discussing (amongst other things)

* architectural basics *
- edubuntu and ltsp.
- which default desktop environment(s) do we want to support ?
- how do we want to implement the educational/scientific
software and which sets do we want to support ?
- which default administration software will we include(class management, scheduling etc.) ?
- what do we do about multimedia apps for video/audio editing, composing ?

* "customer" requirements *
- what is our target audience, what are their specific needs
(i.e. would edubuntu-elementary, edubuntu-highschool, edubuntu-lab metapackages be desirable)
- are there other special technical requirements to be
covered?
- how much windows compatibility do we need and in which areas? * etc, more detail will be available closer to the event.
Please indicate whether you would like to attend the Edubuntu Summit by
return e-mail. In an effort to avoid unsolicited email, we will only
send additional details to those of you reply positively to this email.

Please feel free to pass the invite on to relevant people who you think
may have an interest in attending this summit - space is limited though.

Attendance confirmation is required by no later than 16 June 2005, to
facilitate planning.

If you cannot attend the event, but would like to contribute to or
follow Edubuntu's progress, please join our mailing list at
http://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-devel and keep an eye
on our wiki at http://www.edubuntu.org

Warm regards,

--