[school-discuss] Re: Linux in Government: How Linux Reins in Server Sprawl | Linux Journal

on Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 10:43:12AM -0500, Tom Adelstein (tadelste@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8382
>

> This part of the Linux in Government series will cover advances in
> Linux for what IBM calls "On Demand Computing".
>
> In this issue we cover increasing server utilization by virtualization
> - using Linux as the host operating system.

I haven't looked at Xen yet, but was giving qemu a try a few weeks ago.
Got GNU/Linux running readily, also installed FreeDOS, Win3.0, and WinNT
(last involved a few hoops, basically:  bootstrap install from FreeDOS
boot floppy image).

The neat thing is that you can basically point at a disk image (or real
floppy / CD) and boot from it.  So if you want to try out the latest
Knoppix but don't want to kill your uptime:

   $ qemu knoppix.img  # image file.

...or

   $ qemu /dev/cdrom   # CDRom.

...will get you going.  I've done this with Tom's Root Boot (Oehser, not
Adelstein), LNX-BBC, Damn Small Linux, and Knoppix).

The main difference between qemu and Xen is that qemu provids full HW
virtualization and does not need a modified kernel to run.  Xen requires
a modified Linux kernel to run (the modifications are now part of the
standard kernel tree, and are a build "arch" target, and this is planned
to change).  Qemu supports (as I indicate) multiple OSs.

Performance is reasonable but not lickety-split.  From my experiences
with VMWare ~2003, it's roughly comperable, though I'm running a 1.4 GHz
now, was ~500 MHz then.  Bogomips are reported as ~80% host, though
perceived performance is less than this.

Oh, and NT, which I'd not run for ~six years, *still* sucks rocks.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>        http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
    Obviously it's not going to be trivial to run GNOME apps outside