Re: [school-discuss] Blog on Open Access

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 04:56:22PM -0700, Joel Kahn wrote:
> My impression is that they are giving the term "Open Access"
> a rather broad definition--that may be good or bad. . . .

Wikipedia seems to have some thoughts on the term.  (I had never seen it
until this post, I don't think.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_access

  "Open access (OA) is free, immediate, permanent, full-text, online
  access, for any user, web-wide, to digital scientific and scholarly
  material, primarily research articles published in peer-reviewed
  journals. OA means that any individual user, anywhere, who has access
  to the Internet, may link, read, download, store, print-off, use, and
  data-mine the digital content of that article. An OA article usually
  has limited copyright and licensing restrictions."

--
-bill!