[school-discuss] Death of Windows?

A recent tech article:

http://www.slate.com/id/2220371/

Note particularly the author's lament near
the end of the piece:

"I would give up Word—and maybe even my
beloved Excel—for a computer that boots
instantly, lacks the headaches of Windows,
and runs a reliable browser that houses
serviceable alternatives to Office products.
We're not there yet, and the transition will
surely involve a pandemic of bugs and
compatibility nightmares."

While he briefly discusses Firefox, there is
nary a mention of Linux, OpenOffice, &c.
I'm curious about how HyperSpace compares with
some of the lean & mean Linux distros out there
when it comes to fast bootups & app support.

It looks like FLOSS still has a ways to go
in getting into the minds of enough people....

Joel