Re: [school-discuss] What should school firewalls keep in/out?

Block a minimum of ports.  Scan your network and document what services
are being used for a starting point. If you are not offering a specified
network service then blocking the port to it does nothing but add
latency.  The upside of offering only http is that students and faculty
may get a very good education in current proxy and tunneling technology.

THE WORTHLESS FILTER:
If you have no LDAP servers and block LDAP at a firewall you have
accomplished nothing and added extra latency via another filter rule to
be traversed for every packet entering your network.

NETWORK GAMES:
Network games and P2P filehsharing beg for QOS traffic shaping where you
can give HTTP/FTP a higher priority and/or a chunk of garunteed bandwith.

WHAT REALLY NEEDS PROTECTION?
At our college, (I know not k-12), we filter access to specific servers.
  We only allow access to certain servers:services from certain trusted
networks, further protections exist for these services on the server
itself.  We also have some internal private networks which do not route
to the internet for servers with things like academic records, payroll,
etc..

NETWORK NAZIS:
Arbitrarily blocking ports for "someone elses protection" is a bad move.
  One needs concrete reasons why nobody should be allowed access to a
network service before trying to turn it off.  I interpret this practice
is an affront to the general educational mission of a school, college,
university, or society.

BRAVE NEW WORLD:
Welcome to the year 2002.  I can picture several scenarios being valid
at the k-12 level now.  Students need to ssh into a class server to do
homework, or update their school web homepages.  An Internet game server
is set up for a club fundraising event. A teacher needs to access files
from their workstation or a school fileserver that they forgot to bring
home. A teacher in their office or the school library needs to access a
web server at a college or university running on a nonstandard port, for
participation in a distance learning continuing education class.  A
school club wants Internet chat capabilities. The list will only grow.

WHY HAVE THE INTERNET?
Try to block a minimum of services, based on some real groundwork of
what filters are really necessary.  After all, network services are the
reasons for having the network and access to the Internet in the first
place.

Good luck,

- cameron

--