Re: [school-discuss] What should school firewalls keep in/out?

Uh Yeah, Well,

Chris Hornbaker wrote:

> Where, oh where, to start. Well, doing a quick search on google using the
> phrase "commonly used ports" turned up quite a lot of feedback, with the
> "whys" already answered. This site: http://www.sans.org/y2k/ports.htm seems
> to be very detailed.

Yes, it has some nice detail.  Here is some more.  All ports are
commonly probed, a portscan generally checks for any open ports,
afterwards an attacker may try a targed approach.  Most attacks seen
these days are automated worms which often result in endless HTTP
queries for known vulnerabilities.

Often, the security of a service depends on the configuration and
maintenance of that service, period.

> For K-12 schools, I think http _should_ be the only one open. If other ports
> are needed, leave them open too, but make sure they are _absolutely_ needed.
> They don't need to be in chat rooms or on ICQ, all they need is http, so they
> can search the web for information on the topic they are given.

Only allowing http solves no existing problems and creates new ones
everytime someone wants to do more than offer up a web page on port 80.
  Have you asked the user population what they think they need?

> Universities are a bit different, though. IRC is pretty important to some
> people. Computer Science students may want to join a project that goes along
> with what they'd like to do when they are out of school. Then they'll have
> some practice. But, what if the only good way to get involved is through a
> chat room? Then they can't do as much. (Yes, I know there are ways around
> this (i.e. mailing lists, etc., but I'm just trying to make a point.)

Yeah, most Universities have a pretty good clue and offer Internet
access, not just a port 80 Television service.

> For both types of schools ALL FILE SHARING PORTS _SHOULD_ BE CLOSED! They are
> _not_ needed at all.

Uh, gee, last time I checked the sharing of files was the reason for a
network and the internet.  If you want to stop file sharing you better
get out the scissors to disable the network cables and remove all floppy
disk drives for a start.  You may want to install lots of shielding to
get rid of that dangerous wireless stuff you may have heard about.  And
tin foil hats might be a good idea.

> Really, that link above is very good and easy to follow. Follow it and any
> school should be in good shape.

The link above leaves a lot to be desired.  FTP is open to bounce
attacks, if your FTP server is 10 years old. SSH is commonly probed, so
what?  SMTP is simple mail transport protocol, better tell the office of
homeland security about that one.  And whatever you do, dont run the X
Window System, (Calling it X-Windows is bad form and indicates ignorance
of what X is all about).  If you block off a bunch of high level ports
and try to offer anonymous FTP downloads of course materials you just
shot yourself in the foot.  The list has some good info if you can read
through the FUD.

End of rant.

Sorry to get crochety, I feel strongly about Internet accessibility issues.

- cameron

--
- cameron miller
- UNIX Systems Administrator