Re: [school-discuss] Help on packaging / configuration guides

On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 10:53:13PM +0000, Steve Kehoe wrote:
> Can anyone help me out by pointing me to an
> introductary Howto / on-line manual on Linux package
> management and configuration. I'm looking for advice
> on how to automate or simplify as far as possible
> software installation and update procedures for Linux
> for both desktops and servers

Start with a distro that has that along its bottom line.

I'd recommend Debian "for the long run", but workstation use may
be kickstarted with e.g. ALT Linux Compact [*] -- just fire up
synaptic and get to its help.

* ftp://ftp.altlinux.com/pub/people/rider/ISO/compact-20040304.iso

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@altlinux.ru>