Re: [school-discuss] Talking Linux in School is a Serious Blunder!

Michael Dean wrote:
I think that it is a major blunder to view any rational thrust into the schools adaptation of Open Source as a Linux initiative. Especially when schools, who are goal and objective driven, must sift through thousands of duplicatory packages, many of dubious quality, that comprise what I call the "kitchen sink" distros such as Redhat, Suse, Mandrake and Debian. We must, instead look at open source as a collection of tools to bbe selected from the perspective of the teachers and admins. We must produce an Educational System which is based on a minimalist, goal driven philosophy. FreeBSD would work equally well in schools, and it has a more rational license. I am collecting papers for an edited books on Transforming Schools Through Goal Driven Open Source Software. Any educator, or professional who can produce any contribution to this title would be welcome to submit. Thanks you.
--

I fail to see how an honest discussion of "goal driven open source software" would not include Linux.

You may just as well have stated: I think that it is a major blunder to view any rational thrust into the schools adaptation of Open Source as a BSD initiative. Especially when schools, who are goal and objective driven, must sift through thousands of duplicatory packages, many of dubious quality, that comprise what I call the "kitchen sink" distros such as FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD. We must, instead look at open source as a collection of tools to bbe selected from the perspective of the teachers and admins. We must produce an Educational System which is based on a minimalist, goal driven philosophy. Ubuntu Linux would work equally well in schools, and it has a more rational license...

- cameron