[school-discuss] PyGeo

Here is a suggestion for math/programming instructors. . . .

I'm sure that many members of this group have at least heard
of the Python programming language. One of the more powerful
graphics modules within it is VPython (V for Visual), and an
interesting sub-module (if that's the right term) is PyGeo.
The PyGeo system is a math/geometry visualization system
with some similarities to software like KSEG or GeoGebra, but
it has two significant differences:

1) PyGeo works in a 3D environment, with easy ability to change
one's viewpoint in space by simple mouse movements; and

2) PyGeo requires the user to write at least a short program
to set up a particular environment in which interactive
operations can then take place. (This can be much easier than it
sounds, once one learns a few basic principles). This means that
PyGeo, as an educational tool, can mix programming instruction
with math & geometry in more powerful ways than many other
systems are capable of.

PyGeo is just about entirely the work of one person, Arthur
Siegel. Recently, I found out that Siegel had died suddenly of
a heart attack. I have not found any info indicating that anyone
else is taking over PyGeo, and (for a number of reasons) I'm
just not equipped to do much with it myself. At the same time,
I think that it would be an enormous loss for this to just fade
away as another piece of orphanware.

I encourage teachers (I'd say high-school level and above) to
look at ways they can fit PyGeo into the appropriate curricula.
I also suggest passing the following URL . . .

http://pw1.netcom.com/~ajs/

. . . on to students, especially the ones who have already shown
above-average interest & ability in math. To the best of my
knowledge, the program is under a totally free-software &/or
open-source license, and it should be wide open for anyone who
wants to work on expanding it, updating it, documenting it, &c.

If there is any way that Siegel's tragic death can be turned into
an opportunity, I think that path should be pursued. While I do
have some experience with PyGeo, I'm far from being an expert;
still, I'll try to answer any questions that I can.

Joel

http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail