Re: [school-discuss] Tux Paint packages for Ubuntu

> Caroline Ford (with help from Ben Armstrong, our
> resident Debian Developer) was kind enough to put
> together packages of the recently-released
> 0.9.19 version Tux Paint for Ubuntu Linux!

Bill --

Last night at home I downloaded Tux Paint for FreeBSD and it is a wonderful
program. My 21 year old son, an artist and a computer nerd in his own right
who grew up on Macs, agrees. The program has so many little touches that
make it approachable to beginners and attractive to children, things like
positive feedback -- "Good job!" -- when I added a polygon to my painting.
I think you have some sound effects too but so far I have not gotten the
sound system on that Dell laptop to make any sound.

To anyone who has not played around with Tux Paint, do yourself a favor and
install it. For FreeBSD it is in the ports tree, under games. There is a
separate port for stamps, which provides a bunch of colorful clip-art
images. And show it to everyone you meet.

Here is a development path you might consider. This is based on a kid's
program that came with our first Mac Performa, an early Power PC model.
920, 930, something like that. Instead of one sheet of paper there is a
pad. At the bottom of the screen is an area for text, which the Mac could
read out loud. The author could place special markers in the text which
triggered page "turns." The intent was to create a storybook, and it did
that very well, but my son used it to make some wild animations by making
lots of pages and frequent page turns.

Anyway, thanks for all your hard work!!

Gary Dunn
Open Slate Project