Re: [school-discuss] FOSS and FOOD [Was Re: "Educating Tux" + IT apathy]

hi

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 9:54 AM, Marilyn Hagle <marilyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Marilyn,

I wanted to let you know that I have 370 hours of broadcast quality interviews with business leaders, lead software developers, community members, and ordinary end users talking about how FOSS is going to change the world.  We have been to 6 nations and 3 continents to interview people for the Digital Tipping Point film.  I would like to invite you to grab the footage and do whatever you like with it, as long as your students and teachers release their work to the work under a Creative Commons Attribute-ShareAlike license (CC by-SA).  You can even make derivative works and sell those derivative works commercially.  All we as is credit for our work and that you release it to the world with the same license.  Releasing work commercially is entirely consistent with a CC by-SA license.  People do it all the time, and make money at it.

In fact, we are hoping to _encourage_ people to join our project, and make 5 to 20 minute video shorts about how FOSS is changing their world; or why they think FOSS is cool and fun; or how FOSS is going to manage to get a majority share on the desktop, despite fierce competition from the market leader (Microsoft).  Really, any topic is okay, as long as it touches on FOSS, and FOSS is a significant theme in the video.

Here is my usual cut-and-paste talking about our film:

If you would like to know more about our video project, here is my cut and paste summary:

I am producing a film called the Digital Tipping Point.  The DTP is a film library project and a documentary film project that strives to do two things:  1) build a great collection of video about the new human renaissance that Free Open Source Software (FOSS) will bring to the world; 2) build a movie-in-a-box out of the 5 best hours of that footage; 3) create an entertaining, informative documentary out of that library.  The film will show how Free Open Source Software is in the process of creating an explosion of creativity, literacy, and scientific advancement.  The target audience is Windows users.  We want to make the film sufficiently fun that even Windows users will care.

We have filmed many dignitaries such as Christian Ude (the Mayor of Munich), Hermann-Josef Pelgrim (the Mayor of Schwaebisch Hall), Gilberto Gil (the Culture Minister of Brazil), and Luiz Millan Vazquez de Miguel, (the Extremaduran Minister of Science, Education).  Our film is the first feature length documentary to be built on-line out of fully forkable footage released under a Creative Commons Attribute-ShareAlike license on the Internet Archive.

You can see our raw video here, where we currently have 58 hours of raw video.  This video will need to be re-rendered for most applications other than casual watching, as it is our "source code".

http://www.archive.org/details.php?identifier=digitaltippingpoint

Our keyword search index page is located below.  It is the place to go to find specific persons or themes for our footage.

http://tinyurl.com/yluwoc

Thanks for your interest in the Digital Tipping Point project!

--
Christian Einfeldt,
Producer, The Digital Tipping Point