[school-discuss] Re: [seul-edu] Another threat

On Mon, 13 May 2002, Kevin Stiles wrote:

> In Washington State, all Bus Ed. teachers who are teaching office type
> products are REQUIRED to be certified in the appropriate area.  So far the
> only reference I can find in the state's information is MOUS (Microsoft)
> certification.  With this in place it will be extremely difficult for any
> alternative software to get into our schools.
>
> The link is:
>
> http://www.k12.wa.us/careerteched/busmark/training.asp

That is confusing. Lotus, WordPerfect in appropriate MOUS area?

That looks like an advertisement or marketing materials for a class. It
doesn't look like the official rules. (I'll research this further.)

> http://www.nwcet.org/viewarticle.aps?art=10

Do you have another URL for that? (I get a 404.)

But they look like an outside organization that provides training.

> Any ideas how to fight this?  Without it repealed Washington State is dead
> in the water at the Staff level, at least with the most vocal of the
> teachers involved.

I am in the process of planning and scheduling Linux and open source
workshops for Washington state teachers so they can receive clock-hours.

I'd be interested in helping organize a certification that covers open
source desktop and office software. Details to follow ...

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/