Re: [school-discuss] Info about Clic.

Hi,

I have evaluated Clic software.
It worked out directly after download on a RedHat 7.3 with wine
installed (default RedHat 7.3 wine).
I had no problem to play with it but it freezed when I tried to create
my own content.

Now we have to take care that this software is a proprietary freeware so
it is not a porting but a reverse engineering of their system that you
need to do.
Now, event is you create a compatible Clic player on Linux, then you may
have trouble trying to distribute their activity packages because you
won't have the right to.

Now in terms of feature, I may be biased but gcompris is a very good
alternative you should consider.
It as now over 30 activities, a very good framework (XML, plugin, gnome,
...). It is also designed to let user create content without having to
code. It is in place but we lack the graphical editor today (help needed
;)
But gcompris is also open to coders which mean that you don't have to
stick to a limited predefined kind of activity (like crosswords,
association, ...).
For example, in gcompris in one day, I have been abble to code a canal
lock simulation http://www.ofset.org/gcompris/canal_lock.jpg
This would not be possible in lock because you don't have the code.

By the way, I announce here the latest version of gcompris 1.0.5 with
several new activities:
http://ofset.sourceforge.net/gcompris

Bruno.