[school-discuss] Fwd: [posted] Re: call for DJs at Radio Gutenberg

Subject: [posted] Re: call for DJs at Radio Gutenberg
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 15:13:52 -0500
From: Mike Eschman <meschman@etc-edu.com>
To: "Posted Etexts for Project Gutenberg" <posted@listserv.unc.edu>

On Thursday 08 May 2003 15:09, Branko Collin wrote:
> On 8 May 2003, at 20:54, Holden McGroin wrote:
> > > otherwise, i am assuming all legal risk in airing animal farm for
> > > free, as a synth voice reading, to determine the viability of the
> > > venue. a test marketing venue, if you will, to determine the
> > > prospects of a licensing agreement.
> >
> > It's good that you're doing text-to-speech but wouldn't it be great if
> > somebody could do /manual/ text-to-speech on something (i.e. read it
> > ;-) or even organise some kind of "distributed" version of the radio
> > dramas they used to have on the radio before TV killed the radio star
> > I can imagine it now: a PG production of the War Of The Worlds :-)
> > Could be kinda fun...
>
> I have been thinking about this. Especially reading out plays could
> be worthwhile. Unfortunately, I am not a native speaker of English,
> so I don't think this is something I should do.

i am itching to get into Spanish, French and German.

if you created an audio file on cassette or CD, i could remaster it,
broadcast it, and archive it with Gutenberg ...

but i am a dumb shi... English only guy,
so you have to go easy on my editing skills, other than pure audio mastering.

and volunteers to make sure foreign language broadcasts are what they say
 they are?

meanwhile, we are working on a CD format that reads a paragraph in computer
voice, then records a human voice response onto an output CD-r.

this will also allow multiple readers on a single work to rehearse together,
with the understanding they have broadband access and are on the same isp,
or, better yet, share a (local) LAN.

this is so that blind live readers can contribe live readers, without us
having to bear the cost of creating braille.

henry butler, a great r & b pianists is doing captain Nemo for us (this way)
over the summer, sitting in front of a yamaha x500 keyboard, so we will
also have an original soundtrack for this particular production ...

mike eschman, etc ...
http://www.etc-edu.com
"Not just an afterthought ...

--