Re: [school-discuss] Passwords for kids?

Robin,

"I don't trust my university students with a shared directory, and I dread to
think what would happen with six-year-olds."

Yea Robin, I see your point.

I wouldn't want any of those six-year-olds overwriting each others PowerPoint
presentations or Excel spreadsheets or even their early notes for their
thesis.

Just joking...

Anyway, at our school we don't take responsibility for the data that the
students store on the server.  That storage is there for their convenience.
They are taught to keep copies of their work on a floppy so they can continue
working on it at home.  This system works quite well and the students are
brought up in that environment from the start of school through the 8th grade.

Logins and passwords are something we do not want to deal with.  We have a
very limited technology support structure and we don't need to further burden
it with 500+ logins and passwords.  We draw the line at technology and
provide all the means for the students to get their work done on time and
within the schedule.  We do not allow a student to blame the lack of
technology or the malfunction of technology on the fact that the student
didn't get his work done on time.  If we were to provide 500+ logins and
passwords we would open up a whole new can of worms and all the necessary
support requirements on top of that.

As you see, we try to keep things simple and functional by teaching
responsibility at the student level.

Good luck and sorry about the joke.  Couldn't resist :-)

stew