Re: [school-discuss] Converting 600 old laptops into K12LTSP thin clients for 1:1 ratio at a middle school

Chris Gregan wrote:
Dan,
If I may suggest you try the "SLICK" release of OpenSuse on one of these laptops. It has an optimized boot process as well as other KDE processes to provide a full KDE experience on slower hardware. I have it running on a 500MHz system with decent results considering the resources available. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

The SLICK release can be found here: http://en.opensuse.org/SLICK

Thanks Chris, and thanks to all for the recent responses, we presented the ideas to our district school technology folk and we're now discussing details of the laptops and how they could best be used. They won't be mobile as it turns out, so we're leaning towards thin clients on either tables or laptop carts. Interestingly, one of the main advantages of them is the small form factor of the keyboard, and the fact that you can thus fit more of them on the side of a table for elementary and middle school kids. With 2:1 to 1:1 ratio of student to PC, the electricity and space in the class and hallway (for the laptop carts) start becoming the most limiting factors.

BTW, our principal told us that in nearly all subjects our test scores are up this year, and in particular in math by a significant amount across all grade levels. She stated that she feels the new technology (K12LTSP) has had a direct impact on improving our academic performance. I know that the kids are on the First-In-Math web site via Firefox every chance they get, being early to school, late to lunch and early in from recess to get more time on the laptop carts. All that time practicing math has to be good for something. Also, a very interesting benefit is that the fifth grade teachers began a major project on Oceanography in the last two weeks of school. No one else, including the principal can recall a time when such a major student learning project was begun in the last two weeks of school, normally it's a ramp-down time. I'm guessing the teachers felt confident to commence such an undertaking this year because they knew they would have enough working computers and a fast enough Internet connection that the students could quickly research the topic and quickly put bulletin board displays, reports, and presentations together.

What else does one need to convince oneself of the benefits of Open Source software and terminal/server architecture?

Best regards,
Daniel