Re: [school-discuss] seeking ideas for policy recommendation on ICT-education

Tim:

Definitely take a look at Commonwealth of Learning, they have some
decent computer-training material there called CCNC (Commonwealth
Computer Navigator's Certificate). It's just a tad outdated, targeting
OpenOffice of a few sub-versions back (maybe 3.1 or something) but
it's fairly thorough. Working as a Peace Corps Volunteer in the
Philippines, and being something of a computer geek, has made me
realize that the basic computer skills like window management, file
management, word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, etc are
critically lacking. This being a developing country (similar to
Vietnam, surely, in some ways), donated and purchased computers often
simply rust away because nobody is taught how to use them, and those
who learn on their own are woefully ill-equipped to use them with any
high degree of facility. So, were I writing such a recommendation, I
would word very strongly the need of training for the educators and
other primary users, with funding at least equaling the actual
purchase of hardware. Even sites that receive free hardware would need
this type of training (this being a major point of confusion for many
organizations which often pursue the construction and funding of a
'computer lab' with no plan on how to use it).

Also, I would recommend investigating MultiSeat systems. Userful has a
paid-license system allowing you to turn one rig into several
workstations, each only requiring a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and
multiseat device (which usually cost around USD60-75), resulting in a
huge savings in the initial investment. Since there is only one
computer box to maintain per multiseat "cluster," it also results in
simpler maintenance, electricity provision (including UPSes or voltage
regulators, also important in developing countries), cabling, and
networking.

Fedora 17 is slated to include free, automatic configuration of
MultiSeats. Fedora 17 will be launched in a few months. Check Fedora
17's auto-multiseat feature page
(https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Features/ckremoval&oldid=285410)
and/or this blog post on the auto-multiseat feature
(http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/multi-seat.html) to learn about
Fedora 17's upcoming feature. Also check out Plugable
(www.plugable.com), a company that sells MultiSeat devices. Plugable
is trying to achieve economies of scale that would allow it to
sustainably sell its least-featureful multiseat device for USD50 any
quantity, theoretically reducing the total cost of setting up a
20-computer lab running Fedora 17 with all the free educational
programs available for something on the order of USD500 for the box
and USD200 for each workstation.

Just some food for thought, I hope it's helpful.

~Micah

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 4:48 PM, j. Tim Denny <johndenny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Friends
>
> I  was asked to write a small paper on the following topic (copied verbatim)
>
>> A list of policy recommendations and an action plan for role of ICT in the education of disadvantaged groups,
>

> Basically what they are asking is for clear areas in which policy should focus on being more proactive in assisting disadvantaged groups in the education sector in Vietnam, yet it can apply anywhere.
>
> I like to break ICT-education projects into these main areas...
> content  -teaching learning materials
> capacity building  - training
> infrastructure - hardware/software
> connectivity -  intranet, internet, etc..
> maintenance - how to keep all that stuff working
> community inclusion/ppp - engaging beyond the school
> policy -  I am hesitant to add this section... but surely rules/regulations at the lower levels are extremely important
> If  you might have some ideas or  particular people/groups to direct me to then I will greatly appreciate your help.
>
> Cheers
> Tim

> j. Tim  Denny, Ph.D.
>  Consultant - International Development, Education  and ICT
>   SKYPE - jtdenny    Googletalk - denny.jt
>   http://www.linkedin.com/in/jtdenny
>   https://www.avuedigitalservices.com/VR/id130765695
> While SAT scores might predict your success in the classroom, beyond a basic level of intelligence your passion, motivation, initiative, networking and hustle matter more than your grade-point average.  Dale Stephens founder of UnCollege.org
> https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=esi2y0whdhk52&utm_source=txemail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=referral

###