Re: [school-discuss] The end of Red Hat support

El mié, 05 de 11 de 2003 a las 17:42, Burkhard Woelfel escribió:
> > It's not only
> > Mandrake, Debian, the thousands of installations of Linex or
> > Guadalinex...
> > There're hundreds of other distros :Esware, Aurox,...
>
> I think the big players are not a bad choice at all. My personal preferences
> aside, what's important in a school context?
>
> - - A responsive community
> - - Commercial support might as well be good
> - - Speed and ease of setup and maintenance.
>
> Questions could be:
>
> - - Will I be the only admin? Is this about to change?
> - - How many machines? Old ones, or powerful ones?
> - - If we are talking about desktops, will the kids be able to set up a similar
> machine at home?

The model ,and I'm thinking in Linex and in Guadalinex, seems to take a
non-commercial distro (because, commercial distro may claim some kind of
royalties for massive installations, perhaps), then they hire a small
but high-tech company so they create easy and powerful installation
tools. And they hire some people to setup a deskhelp and forums to
clobber a community around it.

I think some other europeans are just the same, only isolated
"members"/school do choose a major distro.

I think the trend will be to have a GermanyGovernmentLinux, a
ItalianGovLinux and so on.  Well, I've heard that China has started to
do that.

And If I think about it, that's another great strength of the Linux
model, it's a kind of Mazinger-Z or Manga-robot, you may destroy an arm,
or even destroy the robots, just to see the parts that comprise the
robots are inmediatly reassambled into another robot or the same robot.

Red Hat is 1 % of the Linux development, and 0.05 of that is just the
name and cap.

Mandrake are doing great things. My Laserjet 1000 works now, and I feel
that somehow the Linux suppport of the printer has surpassed the Windows
one. The real thing is not only graphical versus text, but configured
xterms (for those of us that use tildes, accents and nasty symbols) and
automatic detection of things (like CDroms, USBS....).

My experience with Yast wasn't good, but that was some years ago, and
frankly speaking, installation always does something I don't want to...
but ...

---
mga