Re: [school-discuss] Which is the fastest Desktop distro for schools?

Arjun Asthana wrote:
We are trying to promote Linux in schools. We have tied up with AMD to provide PCs at low costs.
We want to find the fastest desktop distro so that the users can feel the value of Linux.

I am in India. And the targeted audience is schools/students/teachers of class 8,9,10,11,12.

The distro neednt have edu software, we will provide this by downloading from the internet, we want a fast booting, fast loading distro with a good GUI and we are not hell bent on KDE/Gnome.

Thanks in advance.

Arjun Asthana

To reduce boot time, compile your own kernel, choose only the hardware support you need. Check into the kernel preemption patches, which are supposed to increase desktop application response times. Turn off all the daemons you don't need, removing them from the boot sequence and freeing system memory. At the extreme end you could try Linux BIOS, (you would need specific motherboards that work with it).

Use EXT2 instead of EXT3, you lose journaling but gain a lot of speed.

For a fast window manager IceWM or some other small ones are good.

Mandrake comes with i586 and some i686 binaries. I think Debian still uses i386 binaries, (could be wrong). I don't know about Fedora or Slackware binaries these days.

If you want everything optimized, use a compile it yourself distro, like Gentoo. Gentoo uses a BSD like source code package system.

If you need windows support win4lin is the fastest I have seen. Launching windows 98 under win4lin takes about a second. It costs $, but so do the windows apps.

- cameron