Re: [school-discuss] Sun JDS

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 16:06, Cameron Miller wrote:
> Tom Adelstein wrote:
> > I run the community site for the JDS Linux desktop. We're not affiliated
> > with Sun, but I know about their education programs and have good
> > relations with VP of the schools division.
> >
> > A suggestion at this point. Sun's Java desktop system performs
> > exceptionally on AMD hardware. It uses older and more stable components
> > built to run on Windows 98 style hardware.
> >
> > Contact me directly and I will arrange for free software for your school
> > via contacts in the Edusoft division at Sun. They are very generous with
> > schools and will give you all the administration utilities also.
> >
> > webmaster@jdshelp.org
>
> I saw the JDS at Educause.  It looked pretty fast, but that was on a
> dual opteron with lots of RAM.
>
> It was a clean looking desktop.  We turned on the 3dwm and had some fun
> with it.
>
> - cameron

We had luck with it on low end older equipment - limited RAM older
processors, older hard drives. It's running a 2.4.19 kernel and glibc
2.25. Our community effort has augmented it will 100 RPMS.

It's running nicely on a Gateway 550 (PIII 550MHZ). Lots of those around
from the Government for schools. Runs nicely.

Also the Linux Terminal Server project runs nicely on JDS.

StarOffice is also free to schools.