Re: [school-discuss] Sun Lights up Java Desktop on x86

On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 13:28, Michael Dean wrote:
> This has been in the works now for quite some time, but as proprietary
> solutions go, I can't see how my schools could justify paying the
> average $35,000 dollars per year nut!  In addition, I'd be willing to
> bet Sun maintenance and support does not mean hands-on onsite support,
> which is what most schools need regardless of platform.
>
> Ricardo Wagemaker wrote:
> > For those that has not seen it yet.
> >
> > http://www.internetnews.com/ent-news/article.php/3420431

Perhaps a misunderstanding exists.

Sun will be giving away almost everything in their bag to schools and
has looked at working arrangements for advanced placement credits on
open source products like JDS, OpenSolaris and StarOffice/OpenOffice -
which again looks like everything in their bag.

If someone wants to take advantage of the $25 per person upgrade and
maintenance - they will provide on site support. If someone buys
equipment from them, like Sunrays that's on site too.

I must have missed an email.

Tom