Re: [school-discuss] [IIEP] Battleground of ideas: FLOSS debate raises tempers at BytesForAll

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 03:43:33AM +0530, Frederick Noronha (FN) wrote:
> FN also adds, "By saying 'proprietorial software is free' for
> the bulk of the 'developing' world, the study is guilty of
> both tolerating/encouraging the illegally copying of software
> ('piracy' is a loaded term, unfortunately accepted by
> academia too) and missing the essence of what Free Software
> is all about (offering the freedom to be used, copied,
> studied, modified and redistributed). We are not fighting
> just for the right to remain 'pirates'...."

I'd also point out that these BS heads are lullying these
developing countries into "warez is OK" until it's "too late"
to them for us to switch over.

Then lobbying for "IP protection" occurs and the country gets
ripped.

We've seen this here in Ukraine in 2001/2002, and these two years
(2005+) seem like second wave.

Just don't believe them -- and spread this message.

Overall: seems like US "academia" is getting poisoned/bribed into
flaming FLOSS too, after proxies like SCO have failed brilliantly?

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>