Re: [school-discuss] What to ask?

thanks for getting back to me.  I think that localizing to language though isn't enough.  When I say localizing, I mean adapting the concepts of the software to local means of production and interaction.  Just translating software still leaves a western perspective of learning in the material.  I hope that this clarifies what I meant.  Thank you again and have a great trip.
Teprine

Doug <drloss@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Teprine Baldo wrote:
> I would totally have a few questions.
>
> 1. Do the policies for implementation of technologies
> take into account the realities of the needs of
> teachers on the ground level?

Always a valid question. The policies are usually put in place by
administrators who don't always understand the needs in the classroom
completely.

> 2. Are the students learning technology from a Western
> viewpoint, meaning have the softwares that are being
> used been localized to the swahili culture?

Well, Swahili is a language, not a culture, and it's from quite a ways
north of South Africa. But your point is well-taken, has the software
been localized in local languages? Better said, has the software been
localized in the standard languages of instruction in the schools? (I
don't know if instruction is primarily in English, Xhosa, Bantu, or
other languages.)

> 3. Has implementation been successful on the ground,
> or is it just what the documents are telling us?

This is more than just one question. :) It will be a major part of the
visit I think, seeing how well things are working "in the trenches."

> I have a million other questions, but I think that is
> enough. Let me know if I am totally in left field
> here.

I think you're on track. :)

Teprine Baldo
Bleu Rouge Productions