Re: [school-discuss] student:computer - studies to reference?

These are interesting responses which indicate that I need to clarify
what/why I'm asking.

Of course we're not focusing only on hardware, or only on
a computer:student ratio. The district has already conducted teacher
surveys (concerning prof. dev., amount of usage, hardware, software,
gadgets, etc.) at some schools and several more are currently
following suit.

The planning committee has some idea of where we want to go, and since
at the moment only labs have computers for students (no classrooms
that I know of in the entire district have computers for students to
use!), it's obvious that having more computers for kids to use is one
thing that we need to change.

We can't change the entire district at once, and we don't want to take
off at 100MPH in a direction that turns out to be wrong. So we're
hoping to propose a pilot project to the school board, and we could
really use data from other schools and studies that have been done to
bolster our claims that such a pilot project has the potential to
improve the lives of teachers and the educations of students. Instead
of adding one computer to every classroom in the district and assuming
we're headed in the right direction, we want to know how many *Linux
thin clients* to add to a small handful of classrooms as a pilot to
find out what kind of difference it makes in those classrooms. 1:1 is
not an option on the table at this time, so we need to know where we
should be aiming -- /if there is a specific place to aim/.

At this point in the meeting, I indicated that I believed other people
had already studied this issue and that we could make use of those
results. I was asked to find such data and report back.

Therefore, I sent a very specific question to three widely-dispersed
lists without explaining *any* of my background assumptions and giving
the impression that I was blindly sprinting into hardware-centric
confusion in which obtaining a particular ratio will be expected to
yield precisely-defined results. Hopefully this message rectifies that
concern at least a little. :)

I should mention that I'm already planning to recommend that we do
a survey (another one, unfortunately) to ask teachers how many
computers they would need to make a difference. My wife (a teacher,
also on this committee) and I, along with the other members of this
committee, are very concerned to know what teachers think and we value
their input highly. Unfortunately, we can't take it as a given that
everyone has that same degree of respect for teachers' opinions, so we
want/need more than just teachers' input, and I was hopeful that some
more formal investigations had been conducted.

Thanks for your input, Yishay, and I will contact you separately for
more information.

Thanks,
Matt

Yishay Mor wrote:    [Sun Oct 08 2006, 06:06:36PM EDT]