[school-discuss] Student-oriented Windows freeware... 150 & counting....

Hi all...

I just spent about the past week chasing down Windows freeware that I deemed reasonably suited for educational uses. I've checked most of them, installing them on a demo box, checking that they are in fact free for academic use (being either freeware or open source, no ads, no 30-day trials...) and sufficiently functional to warrant listing.

Not all are cross-platform - a good number of the MIDI apps are Windows-only, for instance. A fair number of the "educational" wares are OSS and/or x-platform, particularly in the math & chemistry section.

These were just all the obvious ones to install, but I know I have myriad MIDI tools not listed as well as utilities & whatever frivolous games I happened upon ( digipen.edu games, TuxRacer, SuperTux... ;-). With those the list easily exceeds 200....

I'll be updating my blog in the next couple of weeks w/ links to the developer/download sites.

Windows Freeware & Open Source applications (straight from the Start Menu):
  1. educational\Bug Brain
  2. educational\Celestia Educ. Version
  3. educational\Childsplay
  4. educational\FreeMind
  5. educational\Primordial Life
  6. educational\Torus Games
  7. educational\Tux Type
  8. educational\Biology\Bug Brain
  9. educational\Biology\Primordial Life
  10. educational\Chem\3D Viewer
  11. educational\Chem\ChemSketch
  12. educational\Chem\Chimera
  13. educational\Chem\g-Open Moleule
  14. educational\Chem\J-Mol
  15. educational\Chem\mvm
  16. educational\Chem\Orbital Viewer
  17. educational\Chem\Orbital
  18. educational\Chem\Orbitals - The Orbitron - Local Web
  19. educational\Chem\PyMOL
  20. educational\Chem\ViewMol 3D
  21. educational\Language\FreeVerbix 7
  22. educational\Math\algebra`trig`calc
  23. educational\Math\arithmetic
  24. educational\Math\calculators
  25. educational\Math\geometry
  26. educational\Math\texts
  27. educational\Math\webs
  28. educational\Math\Graph Paper Printer
  29. educational\Math\arithmetic\MathFlash12
  30. educational\Math\arithmetic\Multiply
  31. educational\Math\arithmetic\tuxmath
  32. educational\Math\calculators\Conversion Plus
  33. educational\Math\calculators\ESB Unit Conversion Utility
  34. educational\Math\calculators\ESBCalc
  35. educational\Math\calculators\Excalibur
  36. educational\Math\calculators\_expression_ Calculator
  37. educational\Math\geometry\Curved Spaces
  38. educational\Math\geometry\KaleidoTile
  39. educational\Math\geometry\Kali
  40. educational\Math\texts\Calculus Intro
  41. educational\Math\texts\Discover Physics
  42. educational\Math\texts\First Algebra
  43. educational\Math\webs\Math Aid Web
  44. educational\Math\webs\Shodor - Web
  45. educational\Planetarium\Celestia-ED
  46. educational\Planetarium\Google Earth
  47. educational\Planetarium\Asynx Planetarium v1.40
  48. educational\Planetarium\HomePlanet
  49. graphics\GIMP 2
  50. graphics\Google SketchUp
  51. graphics\Inkscape
  52. graphics\PhotoFiltre
  53. graphics\Picasa2
  54. graphics\Tux Paint
  55. graphics\2D\Inkscape
  56. graphics\2D\LiveSwif
  57. graphics\3D\Aikido
  58. graphics\3D\Anim8or
  59. graphics\3D\anim8orhelp
  60. graphics\3D\Anim8or-Help
  61. graphics\3D\AnkerCAD
  62. graphics\3D\Blender
  63. graphics\3D\BlockCAD
  64. graphics\3D\LeoCAD
  65. graphics\3D\Maya PLE
  66. graphics\3D\Wings 3D
  67. graphics\3D\Photogrammetry\iModeller 3D
  68. graphics\3D\Photogrammetry\PhotoModeler
  69. graphics\tools\Color Cop
  70. graphics\tools\EZ Thumbs
  71. graphics\tools\Fat Bits
  72. graphics\tools\iCorrect Entre 4.0
  73. graphics\tools\IrfanView 3.98
  74. graphics\tools\Morpher
  75. graphics\tools\Rasterbator
  76. graphics\tools\swf2avi
  77. internet\FileZilla
  78. internet\FileZilla Server
  79. internet\RSSOwl 1.2.2
  80. internet\Mozilla Firefox
  81. internet\Mozilla Thunderbird
  82. internet\WinHTTrack Website Copier
  83. internet\collaboration\Colloquia
  84. internet\collaboration\Shinkuro2
  85. internet\OpenVPN GUI
  86. internet\OpenVPN Server
  87. internet\RSSOwl
  88. multimedia\DemoStudio
  89. multimedia\Juice (PodCasts)
  90. multimedia\DemoStudio\AviMaker
  91. multimedia\DemoStudio\Player
  92. multimedia\DemoStudio\Producer
  93. multimedia\DemoStudio\Recorder
  94. multimedia\DemoStudio\screencopy
  95. multimedia\Media Players\VideoLAN
  96. multimedia\Media Players\Winamp
  97. multimedia\Video Editors\Avidemux
  98. multimedia\Video Editors\Jahshaka
  99. multimedia\Video Editors\Recorder
  100. multimedia\Video Editors\Exsate DV Capture Live
  101. multimedia\Video Editors\Wink
  102. music\LilyPond
  103. music\Chord Construction
  104. music\Guitar\Bucket o' Tab
  105. music\Guitar\RandyTab
  106. music\MIDI\AmazingMIDI
  107. music\MIDI\Anvil Studio
  108. music\MIDI\JAZZ midi
  109. music\MIDI\MIDIBar
  110. music\MIDI\MidiMeow
  111. music\MIDI\MIDI-OX
  112. music\MIDI\SynthEdit
  113. music\MP3 - WAV\BestPractice
  114. music\MP3 - WAV\caotica2
  115. music\MP3 - WAV\Audacity
  116. music\MP3 - WAV\Mixxx
  117. music\MP3 - WAV\Monkey's Audio
  118. music\MP3 - WAV\Mp3 Tag
  119. music\MP3 - WAV\MP3Gain
  120. music\MP3 - WAV\Sound Recorder
  121. music\MP3 - WAV\StereoCoder
  122. music\MP3 - WAV\Streamer
  123. music\MP3 - WAV\WAV Saver
  124. music\MP3 - WAV\Wave Splitter
  125. office\AbiWord 2.2
  126. office\Adobe Reader 7.0
  127. office\Cinergy Script Editor
  128. office\Demo Studio Recorder
  129. office\Gnumeric (spreadsheet)
  130. office\jEdit
  131. office\Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer 97
  132. office\Nvu Website editor
  133. office\OpenOffice.org Base (database)
  134. office\OpenOffice.org Calc (Excel)
  135. office\OpenOffice.org Draw (Vector)
  136. office\OpenOffice.org Impress (PowerPoint)
  137. office\OpenOffice.org Math (Formulas)
  138. office\OpenOffice.org Writer (Word)
  139. office\projects\Dia diagramming tool
  140. office\projects\EVE Diagrammer
  141. office\projects\FreeMind
  142. office\projects\GanttProject
  143. office\tools\DemoStudio\AviMaker
  144. office\tools\DemoStudio\Player
  145. office\tools\DemoStudio\Producer
  146. office\tools\DemoStudio\Recorder
  147. office\tools\DBDesigner 4
  148. office\tools\ERCreator Database Edition
  149. office\tools\Font Selector
  150. office\tools\PDFCreator
  151. office\tools\PowerPoint Viewer 97
  152. office\tools\The Font Thing
  153. office\tools\WinMerge

The rest... it becomes pointless to count them...
util\antivirus antimalware\ClamWin Antivirus
util\antivirus antimalware\Malware Killer
util\antivirus antimalware\Spybot - Search & Destroy
util\antivirus antimalware\Malware Killer\IE
util\antivirus antimalware\Malware Killer\Tools
util\antivirus antimalware\Malware Killer\IE\Remove cached websites
util\antivirus antimalware\Malware Killer\IE\Remove cookies
util\antivirus antimalware\Malware Killer\Tools\Ad-Aware
util\antivirus antimalware\Malware Killer\Tools\CWShredder
util\antivirus antimalware\Malware Killer\Tools\NOD32
util\antivirus antimalware\Malware Killer\Tools\SpywareBlaster
util\Desktop\Topmost Clock
util\etc\Free Printer Info
util\etc\Topmost Clock
util\Internet\VNC
util\Internet\K9 Web Protection Admin
util\Tools\IZArc
util\Tools\SilentNight MP3 - CD Player
util\Tools\TreeSize
games\screen savers
games\C-evo
games\LBreakout2
games\MetaScope
games\Minesweeper
games\Narbacular Drop
games\Pinball
games\Redevilopment
games\Rumble Box
games\Squishy Star Fullscreen
games\Squishy Star Windowed
games\Super Squirrel
games\SuperTux
games\Tux Racer
games\Vinnie's Little Virus
games\screen savers\Starlight
games\screen savers\Adamantan Chem
games\screen savers\Cyclone
games\screen savers\Earth
games\screen savers\ElectricSheep
games\screen savers\EscherZoom.scr
games\screen savers\Euphoria
games\screen savers\FieldLines
games\screen savers\Flame
games\screen savers\Flocks
games\screen savers\Flux
games\screen savers\Helios
games\screen savers\Hyperspace
games\screen savers\Lattice
games\screen savers\Plasma
games\screen savers\Primordial Life
games\screen savers\Sky
games\screen savers\SolarWinds
games\screen savers\Starlight
games\screen savers\Starlight\Configure starlight
games\screen savers\Starlight\Read Me
games\screen savers\Starlight\Select renderer
games\screen savers\Starlight\starlight

======
/lee
| This concludes our broadcast day |