Re: [school-discuss] School Admin Software

On Sunday 07 October 2007 09:30:54 pm Alan E. Davis wrote:
> One of my worst nightmares has befallen my school: a proprietary, Windoze
> only administration package is being implemented: Rediker.
[SNIP]
> Do I have a prayer of getting Rediker's school software running
> on CX Office? Vmware?  Is VMWare suitable for basically emulating Windows
> XP in a window, to run this one program?  Maybe even Wine is good enough?
> I have used Wine?
>
> So my question to the list is this: has anyone any clues about how to start
> the latter?

Alan,
We too use a Windows based proprietary student administration system called
SASIxp. The teacher component clients are Integrade Gradebook and CLASS.xp.
We run these from our Netware server.

These programs would not run under wine until just recently when wine version
0.9.45 was released. This newest version of wine supports Classxp.exe and
Integrade.exe perfectly.

I have installed ncpfs (netware core protocol file system), and I make an IP
connection to our netware server as follows:

ncpmount tcp -A 10.5.0.4 -S D7ADM -U
gfranken.GPH /home/gfranken/Desktop/HSOFFICE

Explanation:
tcp - make a tcp connection to the server
-A 10.5.0.4   - ip address of the server
-S D7ADM  - server name
-U gfranken.GPH  - user name dot context
/home/gfranken/Desktop/HSOFFICE  - mount point

I've set-up an icon on my Linux desktop that runs:
wine /home/gfranken/Desktop/HSOFFICE/GPHSASI/SASIxp/CLASSxp.exe

Unfortunately, I don't know whether Rediker will run under wine. But there may
be hope.

CLASSxp and Integrade were the only programs that tied me to running MS
Windows. Since I can now run them under wine, my teacher workstation lives in
linux all the time, and I'm a happy camper.

Of course, in the longer term, I hope to get our School District to jettison
SASIxp for student record keeping and go to an open source solution.

Regards,
Gary Frankenbery
Grants Pass High School
Grants Pass, Oregon