Re: [school-discuss] So long windows... With some trepidation ...

On Mon, 2007-09-03 at 20:45 -0400, John Mitchell wrote:
> So now I'm replying to myself. ;-)   I can report SUCCESS! However, does
> someone have a recommendation on how to enable the playing of windows
> media in Linux Firefox? I'll research in the meantime...

To play windows media in firefox, you need to install the mplayer,
mplayer-plugin and the codecs for decoding things.

The main page is here: http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/news.html

Most distro's have binaries available. The big "gotcha" is for people
who are running 64-bit Linux (I run large systems and installations so I
use 64-bit for the RAM access - 32GB/server). The catch is to use a
32-bit firefox (and mplayer and friends) so the Java plugins and flash
player will work.

> I am in the process of making 21 copies of the SimplyMEPIS disks for a
> mass installation tomorrow! Be gone you monopolizing, worm-attracting OS!
>
> ...having too much fun with this

You are still just on the ride _up_ the rollercoaster :) Wait 'till
every teacher in the school starts clammering for computer stuff that
"Jut Works".

BTW: Those bazillion year old machines you are using make pretty good
thin clients. Then they will run screaming fast with everything being
served from a fast server (a decently new Athlon with 1GB RAM will run
around 10-15 clients depending on the application load).

(Disclaimer: My company converts schools from windows worms to Linux
thin clients :)

--
James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering