Re: [school-discuss] Linux Tablets?

Hi David,

Linux on tablet PCs does work quite well. However, the tablet PC
platform the _the_ most expensive platform currently available. I have
purchased several and have found no good, compelling reason to use them
except in one situation: taking notes in class where non-ascii
characters are required; i.e. higher math and physics which use math
notation and diagrams.

The drawbacks to tablets are the generally poor handwriting recognition
code (even the stuff from Microsoft - a derivative of a public domain
project funded with Federal money many years ago - doesn't work very
well. Fuzzy logic is not a current hot computing topic.) and the very
high cost. Additionally, any portable device uses a battery pack with a
finite lifespan. So the pack must be replaced periodically and no
insignificant expense.

A much more affordable option is to equip several Linux thin client LCD
monitors with a pen-style touch screen (thin Wacom tablets - but not
from Wacom $$$$$) so the kids can draw right on the screen.

On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 19:25 +0700, David M. Bucknell wrote:
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> I am investigating the use of tablets running Linux in k-12/13 schools
> around the world.  Searching for Ubuntu on tablets, I've found lots of
> promising stuff, so I imagine that someone with more money than I has
> bought one and installed Linux on it, right?  Please let me know if
> you have any leads on schools using tablets running Linux.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> David Bucknell
>
> --
> http://iteachnet.org
>
> We've got good REP: Responsible, Effective and Powerful solutions for ed-tech.

James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering
Local Net Solutions,LLC
770-493-8244