Re: [school-discuss] linuxconf

On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 06:25 -0700, marilyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> Here is a question for the system administrator folks.

That'd be me :)

> Back in the days when I used Red Hat and Mandrake, I used a tool called
> linuxconf that was just great for my simple needs.
>
> In the past two years I have switched to Debian based products.  My students use
> Ubuntu-Studio, the Musix live CD, and sometimes Knoppix.  These are great for
> classroom work.
>
> However, I like to run a server in the classroom.  It is cool to have an
> Intranet server, use ssh, ftp, and sendmail for classroom mail.  When I had
> linuxconf, I could configure Apache and all of those other things in this one
> handy little tool.
>
> Apache is installed and running, but I want to setup my webmastering students to
> access their own directories through ftp and ssh.  Ssh works, but not ftp.
> Also, I want the kids to be able to run programs through ssh.  Pine works fine,
> but it gives an xserver error when I try to run a GUI.

Some notes here: Most distros ship either without ftp or with it off by
default - no login security at all. Use scp or sftp (Look at Filezilla
for a gui)

In order to use Xwindows applications through ssh, it is now required to
_tell_ ssh to use X. The following does the trick from a running
xterminal window :

ssh -X user@foomachine bluefish

This will run bluefish (great html editor BTW) through the ssh tunnel
and close the tunnel when the user exits bluefish. Note that the "X" is
a capitol X. Note also that the foomachine sshd.conf must be configured
to allow X traffic ( must have "X11Forwarding yes", default is no).

> Is there some tool like linuxconf for Debian?

An outstanding sysadmin tool is called webmin. It is a browser-based
interface and it can setup and control nearly _EVERY_ aspect of a *NIX
system. The principle author has a book on the product (highly
recommended!) and that helps fund more coding.

The really nice thing about webmin is it is platform/distro agnostic. So
RedHat, Debian, Suse, it all just works.

--
James P. Kinney III
CEO & Director of Engineering

<jkinney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>