Re: [school-discuss] I: ALT Linux LTSP5 server installer beta available

On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 07:32:28PM -0700, Justin wrote:
> A quick question, the CNews article from awhile back refers to
> ALT Linux as well as Russian OS.  Is the correct way to
> reference it 'ALT Linux'?

I know no "Russian OS"; there were a few attempts to (ab)use
that, as well there's at least one Linux-related project long
sponsored by government/army.

ALT folks tend to react negatively to "nationalization" of free
software development, which is usually coming from those who
would like to score some political points and aren't really into
the technical or social details.

So if your question is "can ALT Linux be referred to as
Russian OS?", then it is _a_ Russian OS to some extent, but
definitely not _the_ Russian OS.  Again, I live in Ukraine and
still take part in the project as well as colleagues here or
in Belarus, and we build upon upstream work and improvements
by other distros, thus "some extent" is rather that -- mostly
valid for fulltimers and distro publication than development
per se.

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 ----       Oct 26--27, Kiev, Ukraine: