Re: [school-discuss] Philosophy: Teachers with Admin Privileges or Not

Daniel,

I am maybe not quite your intended audience, but I am a teacher so . . . .

I would have to get a new job if I could not have admin privileges.  However, I
do not need anything other than privileges for my own classroom.

When I took this job, my principal told me I would use my own choice of free
software.  I used this when I spoke with the system administrator dudes for my
school district.  However, they have been completely wonderful about
everything.  The second in charge guy already had Edubuntu on a home computer
for his own kids.

I discussed with them whether to use bootable CDs (Musix and Knoppix DVD) and
we
eventually decided it would be better for me to dual boot and install Ubuntu
Studio.  This is because there is software included in these live CDs that the
kids could use to cause mischief.

I have to be able to install whatever I want.  I am always trying new things.

They also gave me an old computer to use as a classroom server.  I am running it
as an Intranet server.

The perfect world would let you give the appropriate privileges to individual
teachers.

The other teachers in my district probably do not have enough admin privileges.
It is a Windows shop that is tied up tight.  That is because they do not have
enough tech people on staff and cannot afford to deal with viruses and
spyware.

Marilyn