Re: [school-discuss] Home school for dyslexic students

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 1:37 PM,  <marilyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If any of you have created instructional videos on anything - please let me
> know so I can possibly eventually include them.  Ideas and suggestions are
> welcome as well.
>
> Personally, I would like to see folks creating educational videos, posting
> them on YouTube under a Creative Commons license so anyone can use them, but
> then enabling monetization  . . . so the creators can earn a few advertising
> dollars.

If you can come up with some wording for your educational videos idea,
we could it add the suggestion to the Schoolforge wiki FLOSS Volunteer
Projects page: https://schoolforge.net/wiki/index.php/FLOSS_Volunteer_Projects

It would be nicer to have public domain or Creative Commons licensed
content, but I'll mention a couple of other options anyway.

There are some suggestions for kid safe content for xbmc.  (The
content isn't Open Source, but the xbmc program is.)  Here are a few
links to the forum and I remember running across other points on a
similar topic there as well:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=90858
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=134663

Not sure how age appropriate it is (probably for older students), but
when I attended IEEE meetings once a year we'd get a video from the
IEE in Europe.  The videos were filmed at schools and were part of the
annual Faraday challenge.  I believe a member of the IEEE used to get
them delivered from Europe as VHS and used to pay to get them.  IEE
made some excellent videos on how sound works and how to improve race
car design among other things.  I also believe the videos became
accessible online at some point.  Here are some links to the
organization now:
http://faraday.theiet.org/index.cfm
http://faraday10.theiet.org/urbanevolution/competition/
Might be worth checking if those videos are accessible or if there's
anything that's available from them with Creative Commons licensing.
Part of the IET's and IEEE's functions are to encourage students to go
into the engineering fields.  So, they might be approachable regarding
making content more available to help this goal.  From the videos I've
seen in the past, the IEE (now IET) certainly has good content.
Someone may just need to approach them with ideas on how best to share
it with students.

There are also other organizations besides the IET and IEEE that try
to promote learning and try to encourage students to go into a
particular field.  There's the ACM for computing machinery.  There's
ASME for mechanical engineers.  Plus, there are several others.
Typically, when they have digital libraries (like the IEEE and ACM
do), they charge because it's a way for them to earn money.  However,
many have programs specifically to encourage students.  So, we could
try to convince them to make some resources available under Open
Source licensing to help them reach and inspire more students.  A good
start would be to put together a list of possible organizations and
societies and to contact the parts of these groups that are involved
with encouraging and educating students and let them know about the
possibilities and benefits of getting their word out through Creative
Commons and Open Source resources.
###