[school-discuss] Re: Courseware: more on FLE and Manhattan

Just a note about FLE and Manhattan.

These are very different tools with very different purposes. FLE is more of a
Seymore Pappert-type "constructivist" teaching and learning model. It allows
teachers and students to "construct" knowledge -- it focuses users on their
learning process. FLE is in part interesting because it runs on Zope.

Manhattan, on the other hand, uses traditional categories such as Assignments,
Hand Outs, Internet Resources, Post Office (internal mail), Chat, Self-tests,
Lectures and even Grades. You can put whatever you like in each of these
categories and Manhattan is very friendly to uploads, especially entire Web
sites. These can be uploaded as single zip archives.

Each of these "modules" can be turned on or off by the teacher. Manhattan comes
with a growing range of teacher's admin tools for checking on students'
progress. It is interesting in part because it is written in C (unlike most Web
apps these days) and uses Linux's directory services rather than an additional
database such as MySQL.

--
http://www.iteachnet.org
http://members.iteachnet.org/webzine - International Education Daily