Re: [school-discuss] Open Content and open source for developping countries

hello,

this is a big issue for us (down here in Louisiana),
where a shrinking demographic is causing numerous problems,
budgetary and otherwise.

at http://www.etc-edu.com, we have collected / formatted sufficient copyright
free books to fill 6th thru 12th grade for english lit, history and social
studies.  with dave prentice's help, we now have a good physics textbook,
and we are constructing a geography textbook using free materials in the
library of congress on-line collection.

we also have two graduate students preparing screenplays, on which we can
place a GNU license.  This morning i completed our first sheet music
collection (all copyright free) which includes over 100 works and 5 or 6
music method books.

teachers in jefferson parish have begun to help us hammer our collection into
a cirriculium(?) and student theatre groups are producing the teleplays in
a cable tv studio owned by the school district.

one day we will be able to fill all our needs from this copyright free
collection.

the teleplays are getting burned to dvd and being used as fund raiser
premiums.  etc ... is going to begin looking for copyrights we can buy up.
the first purchase is probably going to be algebra, trig and geometry
textbooks, possibly also chemistry.

i am on the lookout for spanish language audio books read by voulenteers.
please send them (cassettes):

mike eschman, etc ...
52 Oaklawn Drive
Metairie, La. 70005
USA

we will convert to .mp3 and air them.

when the going gets tough, the tough get going ...

mike eschman, etc ...
http://www.etc-edu.com
"Not just an afterthought ...