Re: [school-discuss] StarOffice in Edu.

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 04:48:04PM -0700, Christopher Reed wrote:
> I read today in a release on zdnet "Sun expands StarOffice giveway" (see link
> below) that Microsoft has 90% of the office suite market in Edu.
>
> I'm curious why a free product like StarOffice is not more prevalent in
> education. Is it an issue of support? Usability? Laziness (people don't want
> to switch ffrom MS Office)? Or other?

StarOffice is brand new (on a relative scale) compared to MS Word.
Combine that with its, again relatively, lower profile and it means
that few educational establishments know about it and the few that do
are of course going to be concerned about reliability, compatibility and
"the hassle factor" we always associate with the unknown.

But they should use it anyway. :-)

--
Jeff Kinz, Director, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.  "jkinz@ultranet.com"
"jkinz@rcn.com" copyright 2002.  Use is restricted. Any use is an

    //\         eLviintuaxbilse            /\\