Re: [school-discuss] StarOffice in Edu.

At our little state college it appears to be laziness, ignorance, and
some valid pragmatism.

Some of our educators have made the fallacious claim that they need to
teach MS Office because "it is what the students will encounter".  This
argument has been challenged and defeat acknowledged.

On the staff side, the number of custom applications has been cited,
(mail merges, access databases).  So realistically, the change there
will be fairly difficult and time consuming.  Time to get to work.

So it's going to be a slow long struggle introducing OO here, but it is
already starting to happen.

Step 1, make OO available alongside other office software, in student
labs and on faculty and staff desktops.

Step 2, start moving some popular multi user access database apps to a
real database server, as part of our security policy project.

Step 3, Start vocalizing cost savings as d-day for MS licensing
agreements comes around.

etc..

If it's any comfort, our local High School has a new administrator who
is competent and will certainly be introducing OO/SO and other desktop
open source and free software over the next couple of years.

- cameron

--
- cameron miller
- UNIX Systems Administrator