[school-discuss] Curriculum development : Databses

I think the following is useful for curriculum development and can be
considered.

We need to teach the following Databases for the following reasons.

MySQL : Simple started database

PostgreSQL : Full featured Open Source Zero cost licence

Oracle : Most popular in Pakistan

IBM DB/2 : Popular in real life installations where governments and IBM is
involved.

Jet Max DB : Upcoming database supported by SAP (a pumped up turbo charged
version of MySQL) which is designed to replace all others like Oracle, MSSQL,
DB/2 and whatever else as the platform of choice for SAP.
May be essential 1 to 2 years from now.

Databases to reduce teaching :
Sybase/MS-SQL : Getting outdated and replaced by Oracle and Postgres.

MS Access : Too complex and not to be considered as a starter database for new
students.
To make life easier try PostgreSQL with Pgaccess.

Please send comments.