Re: [school-discuss] Linux LiveCD Distribution attn: roberto

"surely this news are good

but who will maintain and keep updated the OS ?
is it and entirely indipendent OS or it is derived from existing ones
(ubunut, knoppix etc) ?"

roberto,

Who will maintain and keep the OS updated? First, Linus will probably update the kernel from time to time,

Then, Suse, Ubuntu, Mandriva, Red Hat, Slax, Kubuntu, Knoppix, PCLinuxOS, MCN Live, Kanotix and countless others will continue to update and improve packages for their own use and for commercial customers. Then, Universities and Mirrors all over the world will make those packages available for quick access over the internet.

We then build the LiveCD from these parts.

So far as affiliation with any existing distribution, we are forbidden to allow a connection, so to protect the original source.

For example, if you wish to add ANYTHING to Fedora 7, and redistribute it, then you must "rebrand" it.

This protects the Fedora Project from association with non-free, or perhaps unstable software.

If you add a bunch of unstable or copywrited material to the content, then you should not keep any reference to Fedora.

http://revisor.fedoraunity.org/development/rebranding-fedora-with-revisor

This is a sane approach, and we adhere to it.

Every producer on a Linux platform can contribute to the OS, and we do take packages from the best distributions if possiblet.

For example, we can use the base of any distribution, if one or the other gives us an advantage. Obviously we use different sources for PPC than for Intel/AMD images.

For software packages that aren't available as a standard, we can always build from source (any source).

Of course, we can thank everyone at Mandrakesoft, Mandriva, MCNLive, PCLinuxOS, Yellow Dog, TinyMe, Red Hat, Fedora, Kubuntu, Suse, KDE,
Apple Computer, and Microsoft for their contributions.

What we cannot do is affiliate ourselves with any of them without their permission.

So, to answer your question about what distro, it's whatever distro is best.

To answer your question about who will maintain it, consider this-

Worst case scenerio, the top 25 producers stop developement and the entire system will have to be built from scratch.

If that ever happens, then we can all just use Microsoft Vista. Just kidding. It only takes about fifteen days to compile from scratch. Sorry if I scared ya.

chris